Thursday, January 27, 2005

Video and ROM

Lots of stuff working now!
I changed alios to copy the VGA bios from the ATMEL flash to 0xF000. Now alios can call the bios and initialise the video!
Next problem was getting the keyboard to work. I eventually found that I needed to send a self test command to the keyboard controller. After that Linux found it and took over.
So now, we have a working VGA console. Only problem is, I can't get a good framebuffer working. I can only use the 16 colour vga one, as the GD5440 framebuffer needs a PCI bios :(
Now to the Intel Flash. I found that the MTD drivers will read and write this, once I've mapped it into physical memory. The flashcp program will write to it, but only for the 1st 3 erase blocks. This had me stumped for a long time - eventually i found that it was because I didn't map all of the flash into memory - doh!
So now I can put the kernel and initrd into the Intel flash and now the winterm boots without a PCMCIA card!

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

To install you do need a linear PCMCIA flash card or SRAM card
My winterm doesn't have a CF slot, so I on't know how it can be used. (I do have another winterm with a CF slot, but that's another story...)

3:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to read the flash using adapters and a CF-IDE adapter without luck. I took the card apart and it uses Intel Strataflash which doesn't support the CF standard. It looks like it is in a CF formfactor but it is not actually CF. I tried plugging a CF card in and the terminal would not even self-test.

8:39 pm  
Blogger Mani said...

it helps me a lot. Brisk Logic best website development company in Mohali.

6:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home